Friday, January 3, 2014

14 for 2014

Sigh.  I do this every year with mixed success, but I really do think that it's a good way to start the year. You have to set yourself some goals, something to shoot for--  it's probably something buried deep in human nature to insist on making lists of goals, most of which you'll fall short of reaching by year's end.

2013 was an amazing year.  The Cigarillo arrived.  The Missus graduated Nursing School.  I published my first novel...  and I ended the year down 15-20 pounds from where I began.  On balance, there was stress, craziness, good, bad, but overall:  amazing year.   2014 can only be better, I know it.

So, without any further ado, let my quixotic quest begin again:

1.  It's the oldest chestnut in the book, but what the hell...  I ended 2013 down 15-20 pounds, so let's shoot the moon:  I want to lose at least 40 pounds this year and keep it off.

2.  Master at least one song on my ukulele by year's end.  (I've been neglecting my uke lately.  Want to pick it back up.)

3.  Randomly, I've decided to make this a year of pies.  I want to make one pie a month- including a lemon meringue and a gallete of some kind.  I'm going to start small and use up the rest of our Pappy's Pie Crust and then start working on doing it all from scratch.

4. Drink less soda, drink more water, coffee and tea.  I want this to be the year that I stop drinking soda.

5. See this shelf?  I want to read all of the books on it by year's end.


6. Exercise at least 2-3 times a week.  (I've discovered I really like cycling over running and I think I could get into swimming as well.)

7. Better money management:  don't get me wrong...  I'm a ton and a half better with money than I was five years ago, but there's room for improvement.  Hopefully the Missus and I can make it team effort and end the year with more dinero than we did when we started it.

8. Finish my second novel and publish it.

9.  Cut back on my booze consumption-  too much beer won't help the cause for Resolution #1, so I'm going to say Saturdays, Sundays and special occasions...  (birthdays, holidays, etc, etc.  Gotta live a little bit!)

10. I'd like to build some muscle mass in my upper body- I don't want to turn into a total meathead or anything, but I've never in my life had much muscle mass up there.  I've honestly never cared to develop it, but I think I want to give it a shot this year.  Gonna get me some guns!

11. Take time to enjoy having a family...  between work and all the other craziness of life, it's good to, to paraphrase Ferris Bueller, 'look around once in awhile, just so you don't miss it.'

12. I would like to learn a new language/learn how to code this year.

13. Spend at least 30 minutes a shift at work standing up.

14.  (This is my control resolution- so I have at least ONE that I succeed at) I will eat breakfast, lunch and dinner every day.

1 comment:

  1. WOW!! This is an ambitious list....but go for it. It's all doable!!!

    ReplyDelete