Saturday, January 11, 2014

This Week In Vexillology #63

This Week In Vexillology, we're going to have more fun than usual (because, after all, every Week In Vexillology is a fun one, right?)  Last week, we looked at the flag of Zimbabwe, and this week, we're staying close by and slipping across the northern border of Zimbabwe to take a peek at the flag of Zambia:


Before, we get to all that fun though, I've got to launch into a mild tangent:  I want to go to Zambia, mainly to do this:



Over enthusiastic college girl commentary aside, doesn't that look fucking wild?  I mean, just going to Africa period would be amazing and seeing Victoria Falls would be doubly amazing, but doing something like this? Once in a lifetime, bucket list type of stuff.  (I was also intrigued by a lot of videos of people base jumping from the top of Angel Falls, which I'd also like to see- but, I just don't know about base jumping/sky diving.  It'd be awesome, no question, but I'd probably end up being the dude who gets a bum parachute, you know?)

(I originally discovered this pool thanks to Atlas Obscura, a fabulous site that everyone should spend an hour or two exploring- doubly so if you're going on vacation or just want to discover what wild, wacky and random shit is just a short drive away from you- their data base is searchable.)

But now, BACK TO THE FLAG!

Adopted on October 24th, 1964 for national and civil usage, I have to admit that this flag actually grew on me quite a bit while writing this post.  I think I just associate too much green with Libya's old flag and I considered that to be boring as well as being a symbol of a loony dictator- but the more I looked at it, the more I began to like it.

Sure, there's a lot of green (which represents Zambia agriculture) but placing the eagle over the three vertical stripes on the fly instead of the hoist actually draws the eye towards the colors.  And, although I'd have to see it in use to be sure, I'm wondering if placing the symbols on the fly, which will flap in the wind is intended to give the effect of the eagle being in flight.  If so, genius design.   I like it.

Speaking of the symbols:  the eagle is taken from the national arms (it's the eagle of liberty) while the three stripes stand for the struggle for independence (red), the people (black) and the country's copper.  (Yellow/orange).

No comments:

Post a Comment