Thursday, March 7, 2013

The Ukelele Experience



Kids, I've never owned a musical instrument much less attempted to learn how to play one. I hated choir in junior high, never got the chance to start an instrument (I was interested in castanets and percussion, the Parentals were decidedly not so it was the recorder for me!) And hated choir so much in high school that I doubled on foreign languages to avoid taking it. (Now that's dedication, am I right?)

Of all the instruments out there, I've always thought that the ukelele would be pretty cool to learn how to play. It has a lot of appeal (Hawaii and such) and it's smaller and more portable than a guitar- in short, it seemed like the perfect instrument to learn so I can jam out with a frosty beverage on the porch on summer nights and such like.

Happily, I'm married to an awesome woman who made this dream come true- and one month into my ukelele experience, I've got six chords pretty solidly down- but changing between them seamlessly is something I'm still working on. The three fingered ones are especially tricky but hopefully progress will continue and I'll be jamming out and strumming away by summer.

(Mad props: we're getting multi-media up in here kids! Pardon my disheveled appearance... this was recorded post-wisdom teeth removal so I was still a bit out of the loop.)

No comments:

Post a Comment