Monday, March 11, 2013

Food Adventures #23: Orange Marmalade Chia Cookies



Kids, I've always been a sucker for a good orange marmalade. The Cigar Parentals used to keep a jar of Dundee Orange Marmalade kicking around the house when we were all growing up and one of my favorite breakfasts- and all time breakfast memories was buttered toast and marmalade. If you got the butter when the toast was still nice and hot it would get a little melty and then adding a dollop of marmalade on top of that, you'd get the perfect combination of butter, bread and marmalade. Perfect- especially given the amount of homemade bread Mother Cigar churned out (still is churning out, even today).

So while I didn't have Dundee Orange Marmalade (the good stuff) kicking around the joint I had a jar of Rose's Orange Marmalade (pretty much just as good- but it's not quite the same, I don't care what anyone says) kicking around and without fresh bread (trying- emphasis on trying to watch the carb intake) around the house either, I was left wondering what to do with the stuff.

A quick Google search for Orange Marmalade Cookies came up with this recipe which is about as simple as they come so the Missus and I decided to whip up a batch. (Until, that is the Missus remembered we had defrosted a roast the night before and started to get excited to make a Pepsi Roast- then it became mainly me on the cookies and her on the roast. But that's ok- we covered dinner AND dessert.)

I didn't want to mess around with icing this time (longtime readers- all two of them, will undoubtedly recall my struggles with cupcake icing) but the recipe seemed a little pedestrian to me so after a consult with the Missus we threw in a teaspoon of Chia seeds for an added crunch and a dash of Omega-3 boosters. Plus, we do have a giant bag of Chia seeds sitting in the kitchen so we might as well use some of them, right?

What resulted was pleasant, crunchy and sweet but not overwhelmingly so. I think the orange peel in the marmalade did a good job of cutting out the excess sweetness- and once again, we used liquid egg whites only, so we cut out a little bit of the fat there and made them nice and fluffy in the process.

Overall: These worked really well- they're super simple, require few ingredients and take about twenty minutes to a half hour to prepare and ten minutes a batch to cook so they're quick too. I can give these a solid two thumbs up...

No comments:

Post a Comment