Monday, March 18, 2013

Bracketology 2013 Open Thread

Yes, kids- it's time for that annual head scratching agony of filling out a bracket only to see it complete eviscerated within the first weekend of the Tournament.   It's a challenge I relish every year because, well, it's fun and for at least one weekend I have some vague hope that my bracket might actually be the one to get it right.

Then hope usually dies and I just sit back and hope that Duke loses and people/teams I like win. I'll be leaving this post open until my bracket is locked and updating as I go, so enjoy my thought process and if you have hot tips/suggestions- leave them in the comments.


Midwest: LOCKED
I have Louisville coming out of this region to make it to the Final Four...  partially because I hate Duke and partially because they got the job done in their conference tournament and won the Big East.   Some match-ups I'm still pondering:

Mizzou v Colorado State
Oklahoma State v Oregon
Memphis v MTSU/St. Mary's
Creighton v Cincy

UPDATED: Went with my gut on most of these-  Colorado State, Oregon and Creighton get the wins- though I have the sneaking suspicion Cincy might screw me and beat up Creighton.  I haven't really heard anything about Memphis at all, and I know St. Mary's is a solid team and Middle Tennessee State because, well, why not?  So I went with the MTSU/St. Mary's combo.  Go Gaels and Blue Raiders!  Michigan State beats Duke to punch a ticket to the Elite 8 and I know St. Louis is a dark horse pick to make a deep run partially because the A-10 is so solid as a conference and partially because of Rick Majerus and partially because, well, who the hell really knows what a Biliken is anyway, so why not show them the love but after watching Louisville go down big to 'Cuse and then come back to dominate 'em for the Big East Tournament Title, I'm convinced.  They get a shot a the whole ball of wax.


South: LOCKED
I'm going to completely re-arrange this. Neither Georgetown nor Kansas have me completely convinced so right now, I've got VCU doing another magical run to the Final Four.  I am totally going to change this....  Some match-ups I'm still pondering:

UNC v Villanova
Michigan v South Dakota State
VCU v Akron
San Diego State v Oklahoma

(I'm probably not really pondering Michigan v SDSU all that much.)

UPDATED:  So, since my nieces are staying with us for Spring Break I figured since my bracket would be shot to hell by the end of the first weekend anyway and that it's never too early to start learning the fine art of Bracketology, I consulted my two Joe Lunardis in training:



Basically, I went through the South region and asked them which mascot they preferred.  It came down to the Kitties of Villanova (Wildcats) and the Eagles of Florida Gulf Coast University and in the end, Violet's love for all things bird related won the day- so my nieces are taking Florida Gulf Coast all the way to the Final Four.  One big surprise though was their pick of Western Kentucky over Kansas.  I said 'Jayhawks or Hilltoppers?' and got a firm:  'Hilltoppers' in response from Audrey.  I thought I was going to have a split decision for a minute but Violet confirmed her choice.   They liked rabbits too, so apologies to Michigan--  South Dakota State gets to ride their love of bunnies all the way to the Sweet 16.


West: LOCKED
I've been a fan of Gonzaga ever since they emerged on the scene as the perennial mid-major force a few years back.  I'm so happy my 'Zags are a number one seed and yet...   I look at their first round match-up and I find myself thinking:  'A 16 seed has never upset a 1 seed.  Ever.  And if it's going to happen anywhere, it'll be here.'   Some match-ups I'm still pondering:

Pitt v Wichita State
Wisconsin v Ole Miss
Arizona v Belmont
Notre Dame v Iowa State

UPDATED:  Damn it, my love of Gonzaga is warring with a sneaking suspicion that they're going to screw me over hard if I ride them all the way to the Final Four. I'm going with Pitt, Wisconsin, Belmont and Iowa State-- though I think Iowa State might screw me as well.   Here's my conundrum:  all the buzz out there seems to think Gonzaga is really good.  Like really really good.  But there's counter-buzz that also says that they haven't really been tested outside the friendly confines of their home arena as well... so let's say the avoid a history making 16 v 1 upset and get past Pitt in the 2nd Round they get Wisconsin in the Sweet 16.   And Wisconsin...   well, there's that old saying about those whom the Gods wish to destroy, they first make mad- you know the one?  Bo Ryan and the Buzzcuts seem to have the rep of making people crazy and once people get crazy, they start playing Sconnie's game and that usually doesn't end well for them.   I will still be thinking about the West....

UPDATED AGAIN:  You know what?  Screw New Mexico.  Last time they were a 3-seed, they pretty much took a huge dump in the first round and that was that.  Let's have a little fun here...  Harvard over New Mexico, Arizona over Belmont and Harvard to the Sweet 16.  Because why the hell not, that's why! A lot of people seem to be smelling a 5-12 upset right out of the gate with Wisconsin going down to Ole Miss...  I'm sticking with B1G and taking 'em to the Sweet 16- and yes, I'm going to back my Zags all the way to the Final Four.  I don't know if they can win it all but I think they got it in them to get to the last four.  I'm not going to jump off their bandwagon yet!


East: LOCKED
Probably the most interesting region of them all.   I've got Indiana right now- partially because in the absence of Iowa making the Big Dance, I tend to do right by our Big Ten Confreres and show them some love.  As of right now, I've got Indiana taking the whole ball of wax because well, it doesn't matter how awesome your conference is from top-to-bottom unless you win it all at the end of the season.  And I'm nervous that a brutal Big Ten schedule might have shaken the Hoosiers up a bit and exposed their weaknesses.   Some match-ups I'm still pondering:

NC State v Temple
UNLV v Cal
Syracuse v Montana
Butler v Bucknell

UPDATED:  OK...  NC State over Temple...   sorry but with the reported love Jim Delaney has for the Tar Heels in his plans to rule the galaxy from his B1G Death Star, I have to give the Wolf Pack some love.  Plus, it's the 30th Anniversary of their magical run to the title and the clip of them going nuts after they win it is one that I've always enjoyed.  (Along with the Valpo one with Bryce Drew...)  I flipped on UNLV because I think the good teams in the Pac-12 are under seeded in the field- namely Oregon and Cal while the ones with injury problems and stars that are mentally trying on NBA uniforms (UCLA) and ones that just haven't really impressed enough to penetrate this far east (Arizona) are over seeded.  I was toying with giving the Grizz some love but no, Orange FTW.  And Butler gets it because well, it's Butler.

Yes, I picked Colorado over Illinois.  I'm unimpressed with Illinois...   Iowa beat 'em.  And Iowa got handed a 3 seed in the NIT for it's troubles.  (Yes, I'm a little bitter still- but we did lose at Nebraska (baaaad loss) and drip drip dripped away our chance in the B1G Tournament against Sparty so it's really nobody's fault but our own.  So let's do some damage in the NIT and get ready for NEXT YEAR BABY!)  I will sleep on this region as well because, well...  Indiana worries me.

UPDATED AGAIN:  It's either Indiana or Michigan State out of the B1G and I've got more faith in Indiana at this point...  they worry me but I think they've got the best shot at winning it all so I'm going with my gut. Indiana for the win!

No comments:

Post a Comment