Tuesday, October 18, 2011

The Scorecard #3

High School: City High went to Linn Mar and lost! Regina put up a ridiculous 70 points against Louisa-Muscatine and West High, I believe was beaten by CR Washington. The big news out of high school ball though was that moving to District football for 4A schools seems to be advancing- what that will ultimately mean for City High isn't yet clear. In the Mississippi Valley Conference only Dubuque Wahlert and CR Xavier would fall back into 3A and as, geographically speaking, City High is close to Cedar Rapids, I imagine we'd be playing a lot of the same schools. (I mentioned this to The Quiet Man awhile back, being uncertain as to how District play actually works, but I think it'd be pretty wild if IC Regina took on IC West and IC City. I'm honestly not sure either public high school would prevail- but it would be good football.)

College: WE BEAT NORTHWESTERN! FINALLY! If we can follow this up with better play against Indiana and Minnesota (let's get the Pig back home where he belongs, Hawks) I will be extremely content- because we'll also be bowl eligible with two tough tests against Michigan and Michigan State at home. Denard Robinson could cause us problems (as could Marquis Grey at Minnesota) and Sparty's defense is stout, but I like our chances at beating one of the Michigans- I would be really surprised if we dropped two in a row at home. But we can worry about that later, in the meantime, WE BEAT NORTHWESTERN! FINALLY!

Bonus College: Wisconsin continued being ridiculous and the Sports Commentariat still isn't giving them the respect they deserve. Yes, the SEC is a good conference, but let's not fool ourselves: outside Alabama and LSU the supposed level of excellence drops off quickly. It annoys me intensely.

Illinois might be turning into a pumpkin after their loss to Ohio State. I mean, if there was a year to light up Ohio State, it was this one and the Illini weren't up to the task. Oh and Oklahoma State beat Texas... hell yes!

Pro: The Vikings lost. Blech.

Bonus Rugby: The Final is set- New Zealand versus France! I've been liking the All Blacks the more I see of them and I like them in the final... we'll see!

No comments:

Post a Comment