Monday, October 31, 2011

The City Council Endorsements

Election Day is next Tuesday, people. I know it's the big one just yet- but there's still things to vote for- in Iowa City, there's the City Council race and up the road a bit in Marion, there's a crucial by-election for control of the state senate in District 18. No time for apathy, people. Get to work!

So, without further ado, here are The Cigar's Endorsements for City Council- and a plug for District 18:

Raj Patel: This one was a tough one for me. After news broke that Patel had withdrawn as a student at the UofI, I initially thought about shifting my support to either Mitchell or Payne, but decided against it. Patel seems genuinely interested in help to make Iowa City a more vibrant community and, more to the point, even if he's no longer officially a student, he's young- which is a perspective that's sorely needed on the City Council.

No offense to Payne: but she's too much of an 'insider' for my liking. She works for Mid-American and has served on the City Planning and Zoning Commision? No thanks... Deeth's Blog takes issue with the fact that she's a Republican, but to me, that doesn't matter- despite Johnson County's best efforts, there are Republicans here. I'm just looking for someone that brings a fresh perspective to the Council. Payne doesn't.

As for Mitchell: hmmmm... this was a tough one. I don't think I would get into the urban chicken thing, but it's a good issue to raise, especially in Iowa. The more I read of 'The Omnivore's Dilemma' by Michael Pollan the more taken aback I am about the damage being done to our agricultural system by monoculture and corporate ag. Mitchell should keep bangin' his drum- and hopefully Iowa City can get into the urban farming thing and although it's kind of froufy to say, this is an issue where conciousness definately needs to be raised. (There's the big ass field south of City High along 4th Avenue. No idea what's it's for. Why not start an urban village/farm there?)


Matt Hayek: Well, this is kind of a pickle. I just said I declined to support Michelle Payne because she seems like too much of an 'insider' to me, but here I am supporting Matt Hayek, the incumbent of incumbents. I'm a bundle of contradictions- what can I say?

But there's something so competent about Hayek that you just can't help but like. The guy's a lawyer and could be in a big city, living in a suburban McMansion somewhere pulling in the big bucks and living high off the hog. And I'm sure he's pretty well off, but I like the fact that's committed to the community and has planted firm roots here in the community. I'm not normally big on incumbents- especially on the Iowa City City Council, but in Hayek's case, competence wins me over. He hasn't pissed me off, so he gets my vote.

I know there are a lot of people out there who take issue with the whole 21-only thing, but that I was willing to support, not because I was against bars but because I thought we needed better bars and breaking up the bar-condo cartel was the only way the City would be forced to actually think about doing something with downtown. Plus, the drinking age is 21.


If you live in Senate District 18, vote Liz Mathis! If you live in Marion, Robbins or any of the other towns out there. GO VOTE. I want divided Government in Des Moines... and despite Republican protestations to the contrary, we all know what this race is about. The National Organization for Marriage does not come wading into a State Senate race without reason. I want Senators focused on jobs, jobs and jobs. Nothing more, nothing less- I don't want a whisper of a hint of social issues creeping back into the picture. I don't trust Republicans to stick to that. So vote Mathis. (Democrats: this is IMPORTANT. Forgive my crude bluntness, but don't fuck this up.)

No comments:

Post a Comment