Thursday, October 27, 2011

My Comment

The Great Guru Instapundit posted a link this morning to an article calling for an end to the Income Based Repayment Option for repaying student loans... this is what it said.

And this is what I said in response... I don't normally comment on things. Comments seem to be reserved for, well, crazy people. And I just don't want to deal- I mean why feed the beast? But I couldn't let this go- so behold:
As a recent college grad, trying my best to pay my student loans (and working hard to do so):

Points 1,2 and 4 I agree with 100%.

Point 3: I use IBR and believe me, I only WISH it made me think I didn't have pay all this back.

Point 5: If the idea is more useless federal desk jockeys in Washington D.C., I agree it is social engineering and therefore bad. I was lucky enough to land a job as a 911 Dispatcher which is technically a public service job- but one that I think we can agree, people need. (Along with nurses, firefighters, etc.) You should draw a distinction between bloated wasteful public service jobs (of which there are many) and public service jobs that provide tangible benefits to the community. I chose the latter- though I'll acknowledge there are probably plenty of people that want the former.

Point 6: How? Every college grad with student loans is going to do what they can to make payments easier on themselves. State U or Ivy U- the bigger injustice is the generational theft being visited upon my generation and explains about the push for easy student loan payoffs: the sooner we pay down our debts, the more money we have to pay for the Boomers retirement.

Moral of the Story: the sooner my generation pays off college, the more cash we have to pay into Social Security for the Baby Boomers... plus, since we're not getting Social Security when we retire, a little helping of some table scraps from the government is the least they can probably do. After all, if I have to pay for their retirement, they can help me make easier payments for college.
Oh snap...

No comments:

Post a Comment