Monday, June 13, 2011

It's The Caprice for CR!



The Cedar Rapids Police Department is switching to the Chevy Caprice PPV. I think it's going to be interesting see what places like Des Moines do over the next couple of years as the Crown Vic is phased out and other car companies jockey to break Ford's monopoly on the Law Enforcement vehicle market- I know UIPD went to Tahoe's... most, if not all Sheriff's Departments in Iowa seem to be firmly set on Chevy Impalas. I've seen a few State Patrol Dodge Chargers, but I think this will be a slow process over the next few years as police cars are damn expensive to outfit- and that's after you buy the actual car itself.

No word on what Iowa City or Coralville are switching too yet- I've seen an ICPD Tahoe floating around, but that could just be your run of the mill command vehicle for Supervisors and the like.

Either way, it's the end of an era as the now iconic Crown Vic is slowly phased out. Interestingly enough though, I did notice on the new Hawaii 5-0, I believe they use a new Camaro as their police vehicle. Where they put prisoners or a computer in that thing I have no idea, but it certainly looks extremely badass.

No comments:

Post a Comment