Sunday, June 12, 2011

Ha!

Dallas SHUT DOWN Miami tonight and it's awesome! I don't usually care that much about basketball and care even less about professional basketball, but this just made my night!

Don't get me wrong: I think LeBron is a great player and I think he and Miami will come back and win multiple titles- they're relatively young, so I think they'll be back. What I didn't like was his headlong bolt from Cleveland so he could 'take his talents to South Beach' all in the name of winning titles. I get that for a professional athlete, winning the big one is what it's all about, but at the same time, the guy is younger than I am. It took Jordan how many years to get it right in Chicago? A lot- and it says something that players like Nowitzki and a lot of other Dallas players stuck with their team and worked their asses off until they got it right! And it took time, but winning it all has got to be all the sweeter, because all that hard work paid off- and paid off big tonight.

I'll be the first to admit that there's a lot I don't get about basketball- I'm still trying to decode the whole fouling thing and to be honest when people get called for something I'm probably just going to shrug and say 'meh' because I didn't see what the foul was- I'm working on that, believe me... but I do know that basketball, more than any other sport in this country is a sport that demands instantaneous results! And that's a trend that's been getting worse and worse every year. There were players back in the day like Reggie Miller or Patrick Ewing that stuck with teams their whole careers and didn't win, but somehow that's changed now- somehow, people have got to do everything, say anything and go anywhere to win that title.

But not necessarily... I love that Dallas won! I think it's a butt-load of vindication for players like Jason Kidd and Dirk Nowitzki who have been working their asses off year after year trying to get better, trying to be the best and FINALLY their hard work pays off. I could go on all night about how this rehabilitates Nowitski's image and puts in the conversation of basketball's upper elite (I mean his 4th Quarter play this series? AWESOME. MONSTROUS!) But most importantly of all, I think Dallas winning shows the basketball world that it doesn't necessarily have to be about instant results all the time. Sometimes loyalty to a team and hard work can pay off. Dallas proved that tonight.

Congrats to the Mavs! They earned this.

No comments:

Post a Comment