Thursday, December 30, 2010

Snow Joke

Snow troubles in NYC were reportedly a work protest by pissed of Sanitation Workers (unionized of course) over budget cuts to their department. (So says the New York Post, anyway...)

Tell me again, how awesome unions are? First of all: people died. Ambulances couldn't get through because of unplowed streets and people died. Once more, with feeling: people died. Second of all: I have yet to see a tangible benefit from being in a union. Free health insurance? Not for long. The pay I get? Not for long- well, I'm hoping that it'll get frozen instead of cut. Retirement? Hah! Won't see a dime of any pension from any union job- not at my age, which is why I want to start an IRA with the Missus sometime in the next year or so. The Labor Movement, such as it is in this country is eating its lunch off the battles it won yesterday- it wants to live and stay in yesterday and completely ignores just how fiscally untenable the promises that were made them, back in the day actually are. They're putting their precious contracts ahead of actual real life jobs and that to me is an outright betrayal of the workers they claim to represent and it's to the benefit of, naturally, the union bosses.

As for Bloomberg 2012? Kiss that crazy-ass notion goodbye. Unless... well, he could man up and do something truly worthy of the Big Apple: find out if the NY Post is on the level and if it is, fire some Sanitation Workers. But even then... Bloomberg is the worst kind of micro-managing Nanny-Stater I've ever seen. Even if he does decide to tilt at the Presidential windmill, he ain't getting my vote.

No comments:

Post a Comment