Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Busted

The Quiet Man had an extra ticket to the game last night, so he asked if I wanted to tag along (it being against UNI and being basketball, I enthusiastically said yes, of course- Iowa ground out a quality win against UNI, 51-39) and at the game, it being Carver Hawkeye Arena and all, there was a broad mix of young and old people around us- the old lady next to me was keeping track of everybody's stats with almost a religious fervor- but it was the older gentlemen in front of me that caught my ear.

"Yeah, DJK is off the team."

My ears perked up. The guy had been listening to the radio- and after a remark about what a crappy attitude DJK reportedly has, he lapsed into silence and returned to the game, before revealing later that he had been busted on drug charges. Wow. To me it seems a certainly inevitable that in any athletics program, someone is going to mess up sometime. College athletes aren't perfect, and more to the point, we tend to forget that they are in college and they like to party as much as the next person. I expected that DJK had been busted with weed and would miss the bowl game.

It was stunning to find out just how wrong I was. It's a damn shame really, because he wasn't a bad receiver by any stretch of the imagination and could have gone places in the NFL, but now he's looking down the barrel of a whole heap of trouble... and the collapse of Iowa's season in November to finish 7-5 now is starting to look more like an implosion than anything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment