Wednesday, April 25, 2012

The Tyranny of Grumpy Old Men

What is it with this ongoing prejudice against men in shorts? I mean- I can understand and even approve of the whole ban on socks and sandals thing and ugly shorts should be avoided at all costs lest one be mistaken for a weirdo or even worse, a hipster. But in general, why do old people consistently bemoan men and shorts?

(I originally thought it was a European thing- you know, 'how to spot the American' kind of snobbiness, and all apologies to Europe, but I won't wear skinny jeans that tight. It just isn't a good look for me- we're talking Perkins Jumbo Muffin top. Not pretty.)

Today's culprit is PJ O'Rourke who usually makes a lot sense. In Forbes, he tees off on a rant about it that just left me feeling more than a little peeved. So to retort:

1. I don't own a suit. If I'm doing things right, I hope NEVER to own a suit.

2. I certainly don't want to be buried in a suit.

3. I could give a damn what society thinks of what I wear- I really don't care. The fact that people DO care says a lot about the country we live in today. I have a full time job that I LOVE, a house, a mortgage and a wife and if people want to be prejudicial when I choose to wear comfortable clothing on my days off and assume I'm some kind of vagabond of bum, well then, fuck 'em. Don't need their approval and nor do I want it.

4. I'm not going to judge on people who choose to dress like their 75 because they want to seem 'manly.' I'm comfortable enough in my own skin to say that I honestly don't give a damn.

So you know what I'm going to do on my days off? Put on a t-shirt and some shorts and enjoy life. Because I've earned it.

No comments:

Post a Comment