Wednesday, April 25, 2012

I Love My Job

Last night, I got off at Midnight, got home by 1220 and was in bed by 1240 so I could wake up at 0530 and get back here for briefing at 0730 after dropping the Missus off at Clinicals- and I'll be working again. All the way to midnight.

Why the long day, you ask? Well (and this is one of those rare posts where I dish a little about my job, so pay attention) the President was in town and they called my number. I was sent to 'The Sweatbox' which was, I think, the Coach's Office right off the old Fieldhouse Pool and was doubling as sort of a Communications room for the day. It was the sweatiest room on campus, they didn't feed us breakfast and I soon developed a splitting headache which only just now starting to ease. It was a super long day but the experience and getting to take a wee little peek behind the scenes of a Presidential visit and all the trappings that go along with it was certainly a unique one.

I'm totally fried, my brain is scrambled and I'm going to collapse in a heap when I get home and you know what? It was all worth it. Changes in pace are good and a Presidential visit is a HUGE change in pace... and listening to the crowd cheer and hearing him dimly speaking through the walls while sitting in a pool of my own moisture almost made me like him again. He's the only politician in my lifetime to actually reach out and engage young people- people my age. And while it may be a self-serving calculated way to shore up votes for November, it's nice to know that at least one person in Washington D.C. wants to hear what people my age (and younger) have to say. It's nice. I disagree with the President about a lot of things but at least he's listening to me and mine. That fact alone almost makes me want to vote for him again. Almost.

(Though there's still time. I might...)

There are days when my job makes me want to throw things, there are days when my job is crazy and I rise to the occasion and kick some ass and there are days like today- which are just pretty damn cool. And remind me why I really do love this job.

No comments:

Post a Comment