Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Chickens Are Back

The Chickens are back, baby- local urban chicken proponents are launching a fresh push to relax ordinances in both Iowa City and Cedar Rapids to allow urban chickens. Not sure how well they're going to do with it, but they're pushing for it.

Personally, I think the Iowa City Council will probably defer this for awhile. I think Champion has been on the record saying she didn't want to consider it until the Animal Shelter gets relocated and the funding gets figured out, which makes a certain amount of sense to me and I'm not sure how the rest of them are going to feel about it either. I have no earthly idea how Cedar Rapids is going to deal with it- from the articles I've read on the matter, it seems like CR might be more receptive to it right now than Iowa City- but I could be wrong on that score as well.

Personally, I'd be intrigued at the possibility. Building a coop and cleaning up more shit doesn't really appeal- but a constant source of fresh eggs? That does appeal. Though come to think of it, I don't actually eat/use that many eggs- but maybe having a couple of chickens in the backyard might change that. There's also the tiny, tiny, but not at all insignificant issue of the dogs. I'm not sure how either of them would handle chickens- but a co-worker of mine who lives near Riverside just got a pair of chickens and she has a dog, so I'll have to ask her how things are working out...

But the chickens are back, kids- stay tuned and update your omelet recipes!

No comments:

Post a Comment