Tuesday, April 10, 2012

9: Visit All 50 States

Not there yet- but I added to my count:

Arkansas...



We drove through a chunk of Arkansas on the way to Memphis, stopping ever so briefly to give thanks we were out of the insanely long and flat stretch of southern Missouri (after Cape Girardeau, the place goes full Nebraska on you- flat as a pancake and not much else to look at.) Arkansas was more of the same, but what did stand out was their frankly insane looking on and off ramps. They seemed to be insanely short and always either dumped you onto the Interstate in short order or flung you out into the right hand lane of a two lane frontage road. Weirdness...

Then there was Mississippi...

We nudged into Mississippi and immediately came to a stop for what we assumed was construction- but we were astonished to suddenly see a tree topple over ahead of us. Not that you can see it in the above picture. Then we drove to Corinth and kept going until we hit Alabama:


...and then turned around and went right back into Mississippi:


So the count officially stands at 38! (I had a conversation with my mother about where we might have gone in my far distant youth when I lived in New Hampshire- she confirmed ME and CT but alas, not Rhode Island.) Now I need an excuse to drive through Kansas and Oklahoma and visit the Pacific Northwest... (not to mention the little dinky states out East I still need to visit.)

No comments:

Post a Comment