Friday, April 2, 2010

Dispatches from Studio Arts #1



I'm out at Studio Arts tonight, monitoring cameras, watching over the big, cavernous vastness that is the current epicenter of art on campus- and since I'm stuck here all night I thought that since I'm here and since this place is all about art, I'd blog about something art related.

So behold! The Disquieting Muses by Giorgio DiChirico. I both hated and loved this painting when I worked at the Museum of Art- because of all the paintings in the collection, this was the one we got the most questions about. Of course, being guards and being the most visible part of the Museum, we got all the questions. But the reason we got yeckled about this painting so much?

The dates didn't match. For reals. On the canvas there was one date, on the label for the painting there was another- and it was because (we were told) that DiChirico reproduced his own canvases, right down to the last detail apparently. So the original, I guess was done in the year on the canvas. But the actual painting we had was made in the year on the label. Confusing much? I thought so... but despite the fact that this is a pretty 'blah' painting (the colors aren't especially spectacular, I thought) it was certainly thought-provoking.

(In an aside: these dispatches are gonna be a work in progress for awhile. I have an odd relationship to art, because I've been sitting here for a couple of ours now trying to think of the one piece of art that I've seen that has literally knocked me over. Can't really think of any. Aspects of art fascinate me. I'm reading about the history of the Punk Movement right now- sort of, anyway and the fliers and pamphlets fascinate me. The idea of painting something myself- fascinates me. Everything sort of fascinates me, really. So bear with me. I'll be out here again at some point.)

No comments:

Post a Comment