Monday, October 14, 2013

Whiskey of The Month #13: A Detour To Grappa, Part 2

Well, last month brought an unexpected birthday bonus of a second bottle of Grappa!  This time, we're stepping sideways to another grape, chardonnay and of course, that means this is Grappa Di Chardonnay.  It came in this bottle:


Equally beautiful and hand painted as it's counterpart from last month, this bottle of grappa presented us with an immediate challenge I had never encountered:  the cork got stuck.  Well, more precisely what happened was that the stopper separated from the cork and we ended up having to pry the cork out with an assist from Mother Cigar.  


A creative use of mason jars ensued and most of the Grappa Di Chardonnay now resides here:

But, let's leave that aside and get down to brass tacks:

Color:  Clear, colorless

Body:  As with the Grappa Di Prosecco there's an underlying sweetness there but it's a different kind of sweetness, which I would probably put down to the difference between the grapes.   The sweetness of the prosecco is more obvious (as with most proseccos) but the sweetness of the chardonnay is more subtle, I think.

Palate:  It's smooth and there's a hint of grittiness to it, yet weirdly it's kind of syrupy as well.  Hmmmmmm...

Finish:  Not as nice as the Grappa di Prosecco- there's a rush of harsh taste that redeems itself with a nice, gradual warming sensation that makes up for it.

I was toying with the notion of having an espresso test and being really Italian about it but I don't think I will--  I will say that both of these grappas are actually nice and quite drinkable which made a huge change from my initial, drain cleaner like experience with grappa when we were in Italy itself a few years ago.  But between these two, I think I like the bolder sweetness of the Grappa di Prosecco over it's chardonnay counterpart.  Never fear though-  next month, we're back to the good stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment