Thursday, September 12, 2013

Whiskey of The Month #12: A Detour To Grappa, Part 1

The Cigar Parentals spent about six weeks in Italy this summer- Father Cigar was teaching at a summer program in northern Italy and they stayed in the town of Bassano Del Grappa, which, as you'd expect is one of the main grappa producing regions on Italy.  Naturally, I requested a bottle of grappa from Bassano Del Grappa- because, why wouldn't you?  It's like going to Cheddar in England and not having cheese. Or going to Bourbon County in Kentucky and not having some Bourbon.*   It's just one of those things that you gotta do.

And the Cigar Parentals, to their credit, came up big time and brought me back this:


The bottle is made out of Murano glass and it's beautiful.  It's like something out of a science lab and the deal is that I get to drink the contents of the bottle and the Missus gets to keep the bottle itself.  I think that's a deal where everybody walks away with a win.

Grappa is a brandy usually made out of pomace, which is a fancy way of saying that the stuff you have left over when you're making wine, you let ferment, distill and bam, grappa results.  (It can also result in other stuff too- but I don't think it's nearly as tasty.)   It can be pretty rough stuff- my first experience with grappa wasn't good.  It reminded me a lot of cheap tequila and smelled about as appetizing.  The Italians love the stuff though-  shot of grappa chased down by a shot of espresso seems to be the go-to way to kick start the day of many a commuter- at least that the story that the Cigar Parentals tell.  (Maybe I'll give it a shot- though I doubt the Starbucks espresso is going to be anywhere near as good as Italian espresso.)

Grappa is maturing though.  People are start to get serious about the distillation process and the grapes that they use and this particular grappa is grappa di prosecco-  so it's a lot smoother and there's some underlying sweetness to it that makes this smooth and very easy to drink.

Color:  clear- not even a hint of a tint!  Just like vodka.

Body: There's a subtle smokiness to the nose of this stuff but there's also an underlying sweetness that really does smell like grapes.   That's the main thing I take away-  breathe too deeply though and you'll singe your nose hairs.  This stuff has a kick to it.

Palate: Sits lightly on the tongue, the sweetness of the grape predominant until it gives way to a nice smokey, warming burn.

Finish: Beautiful.   That's really the only word I can use to describe this-  I have no idea what it was I drank in Italy a few years back but it was vile, vile stuff.  This is about as far away from that stuff as you could possible imagine and it warms you perfectly.  

*Shamefully, I have broken this 'rule' only once.  When we were visiting my godparents in Switzerland, we went up to Gruyére and while my parents wisely got some toasted ham and gruyére sandwiches for lunch, I opted with my brother for the culinary experience of eating at a McDonald's overseas instead.  If memory serves, there was something called the California Burger or something like that and the fries were awful.  My parents made the better choice- and it's a mistake of my youth I hope to rectify someday because as a cheese, gruyére is awesome.  And amazing with turkey breast for a grilled cheese if that's what you're craving.

No comments:

Post a Comment