Sunday, September 22, 2013

Food Adventures #30: PB and J Popcorn

Tip of the hat to Buzzfeed for including this recipe on a 30 Awesome Things You Can Cook In September list or something like that- though the actual recipe comes from Something Swanky over here.   I liked this idea immediately:  after all, you're taking popcorn and elevating to something other than plain old popcorn and you're doing so without pour half a gallon of butter and salt on top of it.  (Though I appreciate some of the 'flavored seasonings' like the ranch or cheese dust or whatever, it's essentially, flavored salt.  Though delicious, delicious flavored salt.   And don't even get me started on caramel corn.)

Anyway:  I had peanut butter, I had jelly and I snagged some popcorn and away we went.  This resulted:


And you know what?  It's pretty damn good.   The Missus even suggested making this into popcorn balls come Christmas time and I agree with her but with one, tiny, revision:  I grabbed the first white chocolate chips I saw and they happened to have vanilla flavoring onboard.   None of it tasted bad but the vanilla in the chips pushed the PB and J to the background a little bit, so be aware of that when you make this stuff.  (The recipe also calls for Welch's All Natural Grape Jelly.  I just used whatever was in our squeeze bottle in the fridge.   The All Natural Stuff, could, I suppose, have a stronger grape flavor but really, is it worth the extra two bucks or so they probably tack on to the price just so they can call it 'All Natural?'  Probably not.

My Verdict:  If you're tired of plain old popcorn and want something nice, easy and simple to jazz it up with- try this.  Took me less than half an hour total, if that.

No comments:

Post a Comment