Friday, September 27, 2013

Food Adventures #31: Crockpot Orange Chicken

I love Chinese food.  Occasionally, you just have to go bananas and order a smorgasbord of delicious Chinese takeout and drink wine and eat crab rangoons until you're so full you can't move and ultimately end up regretting it in the morning because you've eaten so much food, you're still uncomfortable the next day.

Problem is, I have a sneaking suspicion that Chinese food isn't necessarily the healthiest food around which is why I've long been intrigued at the possibility of crockpot orange chicken. A simple Google search lead me over here to a recipe.  It seemed pretty simple, so I got the basic ingredients and gave it a go.   What we started with was this:


I'll be honest, kids- I was a little dubious going into this.  The sauce (which has 3 tablespoons of ketchup) smelled more like ketchup than anything orange.  If you go to the link above to check out the recipe- it didn't end up looking like that, which made me worried that I hadn't browned the chicken long enough.  (I started this in the morning, so it had all day to cook and the recipe says not to cook it all the way because the crockpot will finish it for you.)  But I stuck with it- and good thing to, because this resulted:


No, it didn't look like the picture in the recipe but it smelled like orange chicken and it sure as hell tasted like orange chicken.  Oh, and what's that we had with it?  The Missus cooked up some fried rice:


(She's a big fan of how-to videos on YouTube, so that's where she got her recipe.  A simple YouTube search and you have thousands of options at your fingertips.)  She had made this recipe before and although she forgot the egg this time around and the rice was stickier than it was the first time, it was still amazingly delicious.

My Verdict:  I've snagged a recipe for General Tso's Crockpot Chicken that I might trot out next month- but between the Missus and her fried rice and a couple of trusty crockpot recipes, we're one batch of wontons away from never having to order takeout again.  Unless we feel like it.

2 comments:

  1. Have you found a good Sweet and Sour recipe yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not! To be honest though, I usually stick with General Tso's and Orange Chicken- I'm pretty boring so maybe that should be something I look for.

    ReplyDelete