Wednesday, November 21, 2012

The College/Gilbert 5: An LNC Follow-Up

Sigh... I wrote a somewhat rambling edition of Late Night Chronicles on the subject last month but the City of Iowa City evidentally doesn't read my blog (or more likely read's Marc Moen's blog before they do mine) and have pushed ahead with whittling down proposals for the College/Gilbert lot.

In general, I hate most of them. Why can't we just have New-Pi move into that space and be done with it? But here they are, for your viewing pleasure. Personally, I'm rooting for either the 4 Zero 4 Development (8 stories w/New Pi and the Bike Library on the First Floor and beaucoup de photovoltaics everywhere) or Ryan Companies/Iceberg Development (5 stories w/New Pi on the first floor.)

What I'm expecting is the 20 story monstrosity that is The Chauncey LLC (complete with cinemas, bowling alley and 20% of the housing being for earmarked for 'workforce housing' whatever that means... though I'm pretty sure given the amount of retail/service sector jobs downtown is going to mean housing for students.) Just because that's how the City Council seems to be rolling these days.

Now that the runway at the airport has been reconfigured, thus allowing for taller and taller buildings downtown, I guess it's game on in a race for the sky.

1 comment: