Sunday, November 4, 2012

2,906 Miles Update #1

Man, I am failing at this fitness thing. I had a fairly miserable September had some momentum going into October and lost it all going into November. A month and a half into this, the number is grim:

19.

Yes, I've racked up 19 miles on the treadmill/walking/working out. Which means my map looks like this:


I go back to the Doctor in a few days so we'll see how my blood pressure is doing then. I've done a relatively good job staying away from extra salt, soda and potato chips but I need to crack down again- especially if I want to kick this into high gear and lose at least 30-40 pounds by the time I turn 30.

So new goals for the rest of the year:

1. Phase out soda again. I've developed a mild appreciation for Squirt which is caffeine free. Think I'll start there and work downwards in my consumption adding in more coffee, tea and iced tea as I go. (I still have a sh-tload of tea from Teavana in my cupboards and as a new one just opened up in Coralville, I think it'd be nice to get some more at some point.)

2. Match my total for the past month and a half THIS month and then double it NEXT month... an ambitious goal but it'd put me at 76 miles at year's end. I also want to start running more (if I can be running at least a mile on the treadmill with these workouts by year's end, I'd be cool with that.)

3. I see people out there trying things like gluten free or vegetarianism or veganism but I like bread, meat and cheese way too much to be successful at any of those options. However, we've got a shitload of quinoa hanging around so it'd be nice to replace pasta/rice with that and try and limit the amount of crap I eat and see what that gets me.

1 comment:

  1. I had to go Gluten free because of an intolerance. The minute I took Gluten out of my diet and started cracking down and eating 80% freshly prepared, back to the basics foods...started dropping weight faster than I did when I started working on my Couch 2 5k! By the way, MOST meat and cheeses are naturally gluten free, so you're okay there as long as you don't get the overly processed stuff. I've found some really great alternatives for bread, bagels and pasta so it doesn't even feel like I'm missing the "real" thing. Plus... the other day, I tried to eat a bagel and spent the next hour bloated, in pain and sick. Makes me reconsider missing bagels that much :)

    ReplyDelete