Wednesday, December 30, 2009

HAH!

The Mediacom-Sinclair fight is sending people back to rabbit ears and leading people to dishes. It's Christmas for Direct TV!

My parents have a dish, so I at least have a place to watch the Orange Bowl, but if Mediacom doesn't figure this out, I will be pricing out dishes- and I will be asking the City Council to end the monopoly Mediacom has in the Iowa City cable market and bring in some competition that actually serves customers instead of their own corporate interests.

(In an aside: this raises all kinds of issues for me- given the fact that we are a country of free-speech absolutists, how free can speech be if it's controlled by giganto-corporations like Sinclair? How free can it be when you have to pay for it? Speech and entertainment aren't the same thing and I'm willing to pay for cable channels, but the issues raised by the fight are still the same-- and they're growing daily.)

No comments:

Post a Comment