Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Guilty Pleasure Wednesdays #2: Goober



Behold! Some more evidence of the existence of a higher power... Goober. This is why I don't really understand atheism, because atheists will probably say something dry and boring about how the mind is perfectly capable of making intuitive leaps such as this one and there's really nothing that special about designing and more to the point, manufacturing something so wildly crazy- and yet oddly logical all at the same time.

I disagree. I think with things such a Cheez-Whiz and Goober, one has to wonder just how the hell the person who came up with the idea made the intuitive leap to begin with. Dr. Whiz didn't just suddenly say 'Hey, let's put cheese in a can, man-- and make it spreadable!' The idea had to come from somewhere. And so it is with Goober. On the face of it, it seems totally crazy and more than a little disgusting, at least potentially. After all, peanut butter and jelly make good sandwiches- but who thinks of putting them both in one jar? Who does that? It's intuitive leaps like these that make me believe in the existence of a higher power- albeit one with a twisted sense of humor. (Or, conversely, it could just be that a lot of people who design foods like these smoke a shit-ass ton of reefer. Take your pick.)

But Goober... oh Goober. How dost I love thee? Let me count the ways: first of all, this shit is delicious. I myself don't bother with bread and just use a spoon (the best way of eating it, methinks...) and well, it's just delicious. I could literally eat a whole jar of this stuff, but then I looked at the calorie count on the food label and decided that might not be such a good idea. As with all delicious foods, this one is massively unhealthy for you in large quantities.

It comes in two flavors- strawberry and grape and I'm torn between which tastes better, but I'd have to say maybe strawberry by a nose hair. This, primarily because I've just never been that big into grape jelly. Really. I don't know why... I'm just not diggin' the grape flavor that much. But there's something about the combination of jelly and peanut butter all into one gooey mess that just goes down perfectly, even without the benefit of bread.

And Goober is the perfect 'recession-proof' spread! Think about it: you could get PB and jelly at separate prices for different costs or you could just get both- in one jar. For one, fairly low price... it's the perfect money saver, especially if you have kids that like PB&J or are just a weird freak that eats Goober straight out of the jar with a spoon.

Either way, it's one helluva delicious guilty pleasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment