Friday, October 2, 2009

Felicitações!



Rio De Janeiro has been awarded the 2016 Summer Olympics, beating out Tokyo, Madrid and Chicago to do so. This was despite last minute pitches from President Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama (and former IOC President Juan Antonio Samaranch and King Juan Carlos for Madrid)-- in the end though, it was Pele and President Lula Da Silva that got the job done and got South America its first Olympic Games.

Although I'm a little disappointed that the games won't be coming to the Midwest, I do think Rio was the perfect choice. About time that South America got the games- and what better place to do it than beautiful Rio De Janeiro. Even as Beijing was China's 'coming out party' to the world- I think Rio could be Brazil's. There will be some problems to overcome (especially security ones) but I think Brazil is going to put on quite the party. We'll just have to see in what, seven years or so?

I also think Chicago's elimination in the first round was a serious bitch slap to the President, who is NOT having a good week- or, for that matter a good year. But I'll save my thunder for a 'LNC One Year Report Card' next month!

But Felicitações a Rio!

No comments:

Post a Comment