Monday, May 31, 2010

Roman Catholic Womenpriests FTW!

I'd be hearing about this on and off from my mother for some weeks now, but hadn't actually noticed any coverage in the local media until today-- namely that an Iowa City Woman is seeking ordination to the priesthood within the Roman Catholic Church. Now, as any 'good' Catholic knows, women technically aren't allowed to be priests, for various sexist reasons that I complete disagree with. (Conveniently ignoring the history of the early Church, where women played an active role in the liturgy and were, in fact, priests.)

However, where things become absolutely brilliant is that the organization that is ordaining women within the Catholic church (Roman Catholic Womenpriests) is doing so in, from what I can tell, a totally legal and valid way under Church law. Consider: 7 women were ordained on the Danube River in 2002 by a Bishop (or Bishops.) This is totally awesome for a couple of reasons: first of all, the middle of a river isn't technically within a Diocese- and second of all, no one (including the Vatican) has figured out who these Bishops were. So, in other words, unless someone blabs or figures it out- the ordinations stand at completely valid under Church law, because the Vatican doesn't know who to excommunicate to invalidate the ordinations.

And even more brilliant: because the original ordinations were valid, the people that were ordained can in turn ordain more women and do so in a perfectly valid way under Church law!

At least, that's my understanding of Church theology. I could have missed something somewhere, but I don't think I did. Either way, a nice bit of subversive eye-poking to the Church Hierarchy that I enjoy immensely... Roman Catholic Womenpriests FTW!

P.S. If I'm not quite right on the theology, please tell me... it's complicated and not exactly my department.

1 comment:

  1. >" totally legal and valid way under Church law."

    Um, no. None of the ordinations were either sacramentally valid nor legal under canon law. The Church lacks the authority to ordain women, thus there are no women Catholic priests anywhere in any of the 22 Catholic Churches. There are some Protestant women (RCWP) playing at being Catholic priest however. Using the term "Catholic" in a name does not make oneself Catholic.

    ReplyDelete