Sunday, January 3, 2010

Vikings 44, Giants 7



The Vikings decided to start playing again and pounded (I said POUNDED) the Giants 44 to 7 to get my Sunday off to a very good start. Brett Favre looked downright immortal and the Giants could do nothing right for the vast majority of the game- only squeezing onto the board early in the 4th Quarter. This was a much needed win for the Vikes who had been uneven for the past few weeks, losing to Arizona, Carolina and then in overtime to Chicago and they look like they might be in position to get a first round bye and have lots of momentum going into the playoffs. Nice way to end the season, Vikes...

In an aside: I can't really say that I'm a huge pro football fan. To me, the grittiness and excitement of the college game make college football where the true masters of the gridiron live, but three years in Minnesota and working the Vikings Training Camp for a couple of summers in 'Kato infected me. Anyone who has lived anywhere near the border with Minnesota knows that Vikings football, Twins baseball and hockey in general are almost state religions up there.

Yet, oddly enough, you don't find Vikings fans in Iowa. Seriously- it's weird. You'll find Packer fans, Colts fans, Bears fans, even the odd Rams fan- but hardly any Vikings fans- baseball is even worse, as it seems the vast majority of people down here are fans of the Cubbies, despite a century of futility when it comes to winning the World Series. My love of the Vikes is a recent development (they're my NFC team, Denver, whom I became a serious fan of when Elway was in his hey-day in the late 90s is my AFC team) but I like the idea that here in Iowa at least, I sorta stand out in a crowd.

No comments:

Post a Comment