Tuesday, February 12, 2013

The Wrestling Thing

Iowa is imploding as we speak: the International Olympic Committee, has in its august wisdom voted to drop wrestling from the Olympics starting in 2020. The sport that was saved in its place? Modern pentathalon. For the record, this isn't the end of the line for wrestling- there's one more vote to make it official at the IOC's general assembly in Buenos Aires later this year- and even if they don't reverse the decision there (I hope they do) then they can reapply along with seven other sports (including a joint baseball/softball bid) to be placed back on the program.

Look kids, I'll freely admit it: I know jack squat about wrestling. It's fairly exciting to watch but I really don't have a damn clue what I'm watching and take my cues from the crowd- when they start losing their shit and freaking out, you can't help but get a little excited about it. Wrestling, to me, is the one link between the modern and ancient games that the Olympics has. I don't care if Pierre De Coubertin created modern pentathalon- they were wrestling in the ANCIENT OLYMPIC GAMES, like you know- the ones in Olympia? That alone makes wrestling more valuable than any other sport- that and the fact that I'll be damned if I can recall seeing an instant of modern pentathalon at the last games- but I sure as hell saw plenty of wrestling.

Folks are gearing up for this- Russia and Turkey are pretty pissed. Dan Gable is spitting mad and ready to fight. Tom Brands declared that the decision was 'worse than death' and I even saw that Our Glorious Leader, The Moustache had weighed in saying it was, in essence pretty damn stupid. A Facebook page-'Keep Wrestling In The Olympics' went live this morning and ended the day with over 50K in likes.

I hope the IOC listens and reverses course. If power walking gets to stay, wrestling should too.

**UPDATED**: Got some links for everyone to peruse...

FB Group- 'Keep Wrestling In The Olympics' already up to 70K likes and rising...

An Open Letter from Dan Gable about the decision, here.

Iowa Wrestling Coach Tom Brands' reaction, here.

Petitions on Change.org and WhiteHouse.gov over here and here.

And will wonders never cease! Our very own Congressman Dave Loebsack is on the case.

No comments:

Post a Comment