Monday, February 4, 2013

Food Adventures #19: The Super Bowl Trio

So yesterday was Super Bowl Sunday and my Mother had a gathering at the Parental's Casa to watch the big game and I volunteered to bring a few things just to contribute to the awesomeness. First up:


MAKER'S MARK RICE KRISPIE TREATS!

If you like bourbon, whiskey and all kinds of yumminess like that (I know I do) then fear not, you can find the recipe over here. I have to admit something maybe mildly shocking to y'all: I had never made regular rice krispie treats before much less ones with a helping of bourbon thrown in for good measure so I didn't know what to expect. (I've tackled Special K Bars- along with tater tot hot dish two culinary favorites I've kept making since my time in the Medium White North.)

Melting the butter went well. Mixing the cinnamon in went well. The marshmallows threw me for a bit but I stuck 'em with a spatula enough and they melted away so I threw in the bourbon and then the recipe said to throw the rice krispies into the sauce pan and mix until combined well before pressing into your 8x8 baking dish.

Silly me... I obeyed unthinkingly and found out what a mess 5 1/2 cups of Rice Krispies can be in a simple sauce pan- the whole damn thing almost went south on me but a large piece of tuperware was located, Krispies combined and they were safely pressed into a pan.

The taste verdict? Generally they were seen as awesome- though I think I sprinkled a little too much cinnamon on the top and I'm not really sure I could taste the bourbon in it but they took average, run of the mill, Rice Krispie treats to another level entirely. I can highly recommend them. Next up?



CRANBERRY GOLDSCHLAGER JELLO SHOTS!

Here's the thing: years ago- and it must have been years because I can't honestly remember when I purchased it, I snagged a bottle of Goldschlager and then it just hung around, hung around, hung around and just never got drunk so I was looking for a way to get rid of it and Jello Shots are a remarkably simple way to do such a thing. One box of Cranberry Jello later and I had a six pack of Jello Shots for the game.

I was a little afraid that the Goldschlager might overwhelm the Cranberry Jello but happily, I only had a third of a cup left so there was just enough to give them a nice Cinnamon kick that blended well with the Cranberry Jello- and the nice thing is that with just one box of Jello used, there weren't loads of excess Jello shots at the end of the night either. Finally...



SPICY PEPPER GOAT CHEESE BRUSCHETTA!

This was an awesome recipe which I found over here and I would happily do this again! We (Mother Cigar and I) put our heads together and transformed what was listed as a 'dip' into straight up bruschetta and it was fantastic! One thing that I would change is adding more Sriracha sauce- I threw a half tablespoon in there and I think I should have kicked it up to a full tablespoon to give it some real kick instead of the more subtle kick it ended up with. (The recipe also called for like a quarter cup of parsley but that seemed like a shitload of parsley to me and I don't really like parsley all that much so I skipped it.)

All in all, it was a slamming Sunday preparing all of this and I went for a bonus and made some Skinny Monkey Cookies- but those deserve their own post, so stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment