Thursday, September 24, 2009

Principal Forced Out?

Another City High Principal forced out? First of all- I have to agree with the tones of some of the comments. What the hell is the PC doing talking to Hanson's Mom, of all people? That just seems kind of dicey and sleazy to me. Second of all- as for the allegations themselves, well... I'd believe it. Some of the rhetoric I've seen about the two high schools since I've moved back to the IC has been downright shocking. I could see influential, rich people on the west side not wanting boundary changes bringing 'those people' over to their 'school.'

That, however, might be just a touch too far into class-based paranoia-- but only just a touch. Hanson did have the right idea though. The schools need boundary changes and badly- you can't have high schools with such a socio-economic disparity between them and expect them both to be consistently excellent schools over the long term. Now granted, Iowa City Schools play in a different league than your average high school. For Iowa City, 'not being excellent' would probably be seen as the end of the world, where as to other sane observers, it would be seen as being happily average. Which is what most people have out there anyway.

Do I think City High can take on any challenge? I do. I came out of there unscathed and educated so I see no reason why that should change for all the other students.

No comments:

Post a Comment