Monday, May 18, 2009

Suu Kyi On Trial

Burmese Leader Aung San Suu Kyi is being put on trial for violating the terms of her house arrest after an American man apparently swam out to her house and ended up on her back lawn somehow. The move is being widely derided as a sham move, designed to keep Suu Kyi in prison in the run up to the (likely rigged) 2010 elections in Burma. There's been a huge international outcry against this of course, but India and China haven't said much yet, which is going to be key in getting anything meaningful done in Burma.

As for the guy who swam out to see her, well, there's a profile on him here- and I just don't know what to make of this. I mean, I admire Aung San Suu Kyi and if I could interview anyone in the world, I'd dearly love to sit down and have a long conversation with her, because I know it would be incredibly fascinating. Would I sneak into Burma and swim out to her house? Probably not- and apparently this guy tried to do it last November and was sent packing right away, but this time, he crashed at her place for 2 days and now look what's happening! More harm than good, which is a shame.

Want to help? (Not just with Burma, but for human rights in general--) check out...
Amnesty International
Human Rights Watch

No comments:

Post a Comment