Tuesday, January 8, 2013

#Cut4Bieber Is An Actual Thing Now

Honey Boo-Boo's Mom being afraid of mayonaise is also an actual thing apparently but this cutting for Bieber thing is disturbing. The apparent silence from Biebs of the matter (I really hope he's said something by now and I just haven't heard- if not, then duuuuuuuuuude, WTF?) is also disturbing.

Basically, the Bieb was caught smoking weed the other week and some asshole on 4Chan.org (which apparently is a site dedicated to being horrible human beings) started this:
The hashtag #Cut4Bieber began trending, suggesting that dedicated Beliebers engage in self-harm through cutting themselves in order to get Justin's attention in response to his recent alleged bad boy behavior.

"Lets start a cut yourself for bieber campaign," an anonymous user initially wrote before the thread was deleted, according to Billboard. "Tweet a bunch of pics of people cutting themselves and claim we did it because bieber was smoking weed. See if we can get some little girls to cut themselves."
The truly sad part about this is that it's working apparently.

Look, cutting is an incredibly serious thing. Back in the dark days when I was depressed I did it a time or two but I was never seriously into cutting because it didn't do much for me. All I got was a cut and some blood to clean up and it just seemed a little silly and counter productive after awhile so I got help, got anti-depressants, talked to a therapist and ten years later am worlds away from where I was then. My experience is limited and nowhere near as extreme as some people out there and this bothers the shit out of me. I can't imagine how much it would bother people who've had some serious battle with self-harm/cutting.

I think what's worse is that the onslaught of potentially real photos on Twitter could be just that- potentially real. And that disturbs me too- healthy coping mechanisms are important with dealing with stuff like depression- why would you want to cut yourself for somebody else? Why would you want to give that power to someone else?

Granted, this is a stupid and assholic interweb meme gone wrong- and I hope the vast majority of these photos that are floating around out there are just that: fake. But if they're not, then I'd like to wish that people learn a lesson about this- to never give anyone that power of you as an individual. We're all worth more than that, each of us in our own unique way.

I mean, look at Honey Boo Boo's mom. She's afraid of mayonnaise.

No comments:

Post a Comment