Monday, January 14, 2013

Cheerful Discourse, For Once

I was deep in the ashram of the Great Guru Instapundit when I noticed the headline: 'FRIENDLY TALK BETWEEN TEA PARTY AND MOVEON' That caught my attention right away- when I read the article describing the cordial discussion that took place in Berkley from the Tea Partiers point of view and then found the HuffPost Article that described the meeting from the MoveOn-ers point of view I was pleasantly surprised.

Basically, both sides found out they had a lot more in common with each other than they had previously thought. Following the basic structure of a Living Room Conversation (this is the first time I've heard of such things but I like what I'm hearing/reading about them, that's for sure) they discussed a wide variety of issues and made plans to discuss more (the Tea Partiers had to get home by 6 for a dinner engagement so they couldn't go as long as they wanted too.)

Could I just say: YES YES YES! I love this! Crossing ideological and party lines to discover that instead of yelling and talking past each other- as much of our political discourse has sunk too these days, people have more in common with each other than they think. Granted, this may be a tiny, tiny step (and I hope it's not the only one) in what I'm sure is going to be a long and painful road back to a more productive political discourse but I'm glad it happened. I hope more of them happen and both side can find common cause in the thought of making our democracy better and making our politicians more accountable to the people.

Seriously- this brightened up my entire day. And I was having a pretty good day to begin with!

No comments:

Post a Comment