Monday, July 9, 2012

Food Adventures #15: Orange Patron Cupcakes Take 2



They say everything's always better the second time around-- or is that the stupid 'over 50s single online dating' commercial I've been seeing on television incessantly? It may not be the case for love- but it sure was the case for these cupcakes. I think I managed to cure my frosting curse! Thanks to a pep talking and a cooking lesson from Mother Cigar I've been converted to the cause of the ganache. Mother Cigar has a long standing prejudice against cupcakes- more specifically the amount of frosting that tends to end up on them. She's very much a 'less is more' type of a person when it comes to frosting, so she suggested a ganache or a glaze.

I was dubious. I'd tried a glaze for some Cherry Chocolate Bourbon Cupcakes awhile back and it looked, well... unappetizing. (Fine... let's be honest about this, it looked like jizz. Happy now?) I wasn't a fan. But she persuaded me by having me whip up a chocolate ganache, throwing in some patron to give it a kick and told me to go home, freeze it and go from there.

The results were amazing... frosting is much better- I used less zest and there was less Patron as well so I think the flavors of chocolate and orange were more present than they were in the last batch. My batter is a little too runny though- so my thought to add dark chocolate chips while a potentially good one didn't do much overall as they all sank to the bottom.

Overall, these were the complete package. This is what I was aiming for the first time around and I hit it this time around. Good stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment