Friday, July 20, 2012

Colorado

In the wake of yesterday's tragedy in Colorado, the best I can come up with is this:

Look, guns are complicated for me. I don't think they should be totally banned but I also don't think people should have the right to get howitzers or AR-15s without you know, going through a background check and taking a test or something. We make people take a test to drive a damn car under the logic that cars can kill people if you don't know what the fuck you're doing with them. Guns should be held to a similar standard.

At the end of the day, I believe that a free citizenry is an armed citizenry but I also believe that in order for a free society to function effectively, we need limits.

So if you read that last sentence and find a fundamental contradiction in there, forgive me. Guns, as I said are complicated for me because I find myself evolving on the issue as I grow older- though perhaps not quite as wiser as I should be.

Everybody- right, left, Democrat, Republican needs to take a DEEP breath and resist the urge to turn this into an election year issue. This was an awful, awful tragedy. Stop trying to score points of it- that's just disgusting.

People can lay off the stupid internet memes as well. This was a tragedy. Resist the urge to launch a letter-writing campaign- (Facebook's latest thing is a plea to Christian Bale to go visit the victims recovering in hospital- dressed as Batman.) This isn't like getting Betty White to host SNL.

As for me, the victims of this tragedy will be in my thoughts and prayers. You know, they say my generation was defined by 9/11. I disagree... I think we're all children of Columbine in one way or another and I long for the day when America can stop having to live through these senseless acts of violence.

I just don't think we're ever going to get there.

1 comment:

  1. Great post Tom! I agree with you. You and I especially have an inside view of tragedies like this. It's just crazy to think about. Thanks for being an awesome dispatcher!

    ReplyDelete