Thursday, March 19, 2009

Bracketology '09

Oh, the Madness. It starts today- in a couple of hours actually, so I think I'll just go ahead and post my usual justifications of my Bracket methodology and see how much they suck when all is said and done. Just for the general edification of the like two people who read this thing on a regular basis. So, take a deep breath:

My Pick: Louisville
My Final Four: Louisville, Memphis, Villanova, Syracuse

Regional Breakdowns: Generally speaking, I like the tournament field this year- and more importantly, I like the major players. The talking heads have made this the Year of the Big East- and I think they're right. It's nice to see new faces as the top seeds without the usual crew (UNC, Duke, Kentucky) being crowned as inevitable champions. I like it- there's the potential for new faces and some under the radar teams that could blow everyone away.

Midwest: This region is all Louisville. Across the board- but beware the Sweet 16- I think there's a probably showdown with Wake Forest coming and I worry about that. Deeply. I think if Louisville trips up anywhere, it's going to be there. Kansas and Sparty in the other Sweet 16 game and then Louisville takes out Sparty to get to the Final Four. Another interesting potential: WVU and Kansas- there could be potential for an upset there, but I'm going to stick with the Jayhawks.

West: The Upset Specials... Northern Iowa and Utah State. Northern Iowa because, well, someone's gotta represent for the Home Team- and Utah State because... well, just because I feel like it. Other than that, we're headed for a somewhat ho-hum, 1-2 showdown in this region. UCONN and Memphis- with Memphis taking it to the Final Four. As for Northern Iowa and Utah State- I think if they can get past their first round games, they've got long shots, but shots nonetheless to get to the Sweet 16- and I'd take UNI over Utah State if I had to pick between 'em.

East: Villanova and Pittsburgh! Villanova goes all the way- Minnesota and Xavier go to the Sweet 16- the Golden Gophers taking out Duke along the way. Again, to me a somewhat ho-hum region, but Villanova and Pitt should be a game for the ages. Touch wood I'll get to watch it-- but damn these work hours of mine!

South: Probably the most exciting region in the whole tournament, I think this one is wide open. Which is why I picked Syracuse to get through. I think they popped up on everyone's radar screens with that ridiculous 5OT win over UCONN and I think they could bust out and make some serious noise- potentially enough to get to the big show. But beware! There are minefields ahead... Oklahoma, Gonzaga and UNC. When Gonzaga takes on UNC- that's one I want to watch- and Oklahoma could also just tear through everyone. But I'm sticking with Syracuse.

And you know what, I think this is the year- this is the year that I might actually try and watch some of the basketball!

No comments:

Post a Comment