Thursday, March 12, 2009

Bad Day

Well, certain fundamental truths are being revealed to me: first is that The Real World on MTV has absolutely NO BASIS in the ACTUAL real world. The ACTUAL real world sucks balls- but we knew this already.

Second: I hate jumping through hoops just for a job. I just want to apply for something and get it. I am an impatient fool and I have this nagging suspicion that I am going to be a book smart guy who will always and forever be 'almost, but not quite good enough.' The truly depressing thing is that I think I really wanted to escape academia and have a real life. To get a job, house, pop out a kid or two and just not be in school. I thought it would be good for me- but I had no idea it was going to be so damn hard. Granted, the economy sucks- and even in the best of times, it takes time to find the right job. This is supposed to be the shitty, character building part of life, but I have the wrong degree(s), the wrong skill set and I've just put myself into a huge mess of my own making. And at a certain point, it's just too damn expensive to go back and clean it up. I'm stuck: useless degree, no skill set and the depressing reality that I too, will struggle along until I finally give up and go back to school for a PhD.

I have a job deadline coming up Tuesday. It was a job, oddly enough, that I really, really, really wanted and thought I could at least get a call for. But they get 10,000 resumes a month and found mine wanting. Probably didn't go to the right school or something. Snotty elitists. Now I know what being stood up feels like.

I hate that I have to take a damn PT test just to get an interview to become a cop. That shit, I'm starting to get tired of. Some of the people giving those tests haven't seen their toes in 20 years, yet I have to jump through hoops. It doesn't seem right to me somehow and it's tiresome. I'm going to drive all the way to Webster City just to fail another damn test. And probably do the same thing next week. Yippee! I'm going to spend the next year and a half running my ass and for no discernable affect whatsoever.

But such is life. And I'll continue, I'll put my shoulder to the grindstone, because what else can you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment