Sunday, April 28, 2013

Poetry Slam 2013, Week #4

Rounding out the 2013 edition of poetry slam, I went with some Langston Hughes.  Poetry units were a yearly torture in every English class I ever took in high school- but one of the poems we always read was this one and for some reason, it's always stuck in my head.   (Random flashback to American Lit Class: There was one memorable occasion where there was a fierce debate on whether a red wheelbarrow in one particular poem might represent communism.  Our teacher ruled that it did not.)

Anyway- enjoy it- and you know, I think I'll do this again next year.   A little poetry now and again can't hurt.

I, Too: Langston Hughes
I, too, sing America.

I am the darker brother.
They send me to eat in the kitchen
When company comes, 
But I laugh,
And eat well,
And grow strong.

Tomorrow,
I'll be at the table
When company comes.
Nobody'll date
Say to me,
'Eat In the kitchen,'
Then.

Besides,
They'll see how beautiful I am
And be ashamed--

I, too, am America. 

No comments:

Post a Comment