Monday, September 17, 2012

Endorsements Round 1: State and Local

It's an election year and you know what that means- it's ENDORSEMENT TIME here at the Cigar! I was going to try and do this in one fell swoop but I decided not too just because as of right now, I'm back on the fence for the Presidential vote and I'd like to see the debates before making up my mind one way or the other. (Well, not exactly back on the fence. Let's just say I've eliminated Mittens Romney from consideration.)

So I thought I'd start out with State and Local Issues/Races and work up from there:

The Jail: Once again, Johnson County is going to have to go to the polls to decide whether or not they want a new jail. It would not surprise me if this gets voted down again but I'm going to vote yes. We badly need a new jail. It's overcrowded and we're paying other counties to house Johnson County inmates sometimes and that ain't cheap. There's an argument to be made that if you make it bigger, well then they'll just have to fill that one up too, I suppose and I'm not indifferent to that but the fact remains- it's time. Yes to the Justice Center.

Judicial Retention Vote: OK Iowa, time to stop this right wing nonsense once and for all. The Varnum Decision did not legislate a damn thing. It interpreted the constitution to say that the State cannot deny same sex couples the right to marry. Totally different thing than 'legislating from the bench' and it's what the Court is supposed to do. I'm not usually a joiner, kids but on this issue I feel pretty damn strongly about outside money and politics messing with my state judicial system and railroading justices that were doing their jobs and doing them well. So I joined Justice Not Politics. You should too- and remember: Flip Your Ballot and Vote Yes to Retain Justice Wiggins.

State Legislature: I don't really have a specific candidate or candidates I'm backing in the race for the State House but I'd like to endorse keeping the status quo just the way it is, thanks very much. Having semi-divided government seems to be keeping the extremist idiocies of both parties in check and is keeping everybody focused on the economy, the economy and oh yes, the economy. I don't want one party or the other getting to run everything because then we'll either piss away time on things like the death penalty or gay marriage or whatever it is Democrats can come up with to annoy Our Glorious Leader and His Chief Henchwoman. So: Don't Rock the Boat, baby. Status Quo FTW!

Congress: We've got new districts thanks to the new census and some interesting match-ups to dissect. First up, the 2nd District: I have to admit, I'm pretty indifferent to the Dave Loebsack/John Archer match-up in The Cigar's home 2nd District because I'm not actually sure what Loebsack's been doing all this time other than calling me with invitations to his telephone town halls and I know nothing about John Archer other than his name. I expect I'll either vote Third Party or write in The Quiet Man or maybe Chasing Empty Pavements can get a vote. About time Iowa sends a woman to Congress anyway! Final Verdict: I say incumbency gets Loebsack through this one but trading Linn County for Scott County and throwing in Jasper County might make it tougher but overall it's the lesser of 'who cares?' in this District.

Next, The 1st District: Yes, it's a rematch between Bruce Braley and Ben Lange and it would be a whole lot more exciting if it actually did take place in a UFC Octagon. (BRALEY/LANGE II SATURDAY NIGHT ON DISH ON DEMAND! That sounds exciting, right?) Final Verdict: Braley again thanks to incumbency. If Lange can't knock him out in 2010 which was about as friendly to GOPers as you can get for an election, I'm not going to bet on him this time either. This one doesn't get my pulse racing either.

The 3rd District: This one is the MAIN EVENT of Iowa's Congressional Races and it's going to be fascinating to watch. FASCINATING. If you turn on your television election night this is the one you pay attention too, kids. It's the battle of the incumbents as thanks to a move southwards, Tom Latham finds himself in the newly drawn 3rd District against fellow incumbent Leonard Boswell in a new district that includes both Des Moines, West Des Moines, Indianola and Council Bluffs- mainly the SW chunk of the state. Final Verdict: I have absolutely no idea. Flip a coin and find out!

The 4th District: This is the only race I'd endorse for and I happily endorse former Iowa First Lady Christie Vilsack current incumbent Steve King. Because, well, she's not Steve King. Can Christie get it done? I think she's got a good chance. She has better name recognition than whomever the Democrats ran last time and I think Story County will be the lynchpin to any victory she pulls out. Final Verdict: Incumbency is strong but I smell an upset here.

No comments:

Post a Comment