Sunday, February 12, 2012

Whitney Houston, 1963-2011

Whitney Houston, famed R&B, soul, gospel singer died at the age of 48 yesterday.

Anyone who's turned on a television or gone on Facebook in the past 24 hours already knows this- but I have to say I was taken aback by the outpouring of grief and the level of news coverage her death has gotten. Sure, she died suddenly and relatively young, but at least on my personal radar, she had been out of the limelight for awhile.

I can't say I was a huge fan of her music, but I know it- as does anyone born in the past three decades. I've never seen 'The Bodyguard,' so I'll just take everyone's word for it that it's an awesome movie. (I chose not to see it because it's not really my type of movie and, at the time, they played 'I Will Always Love You' incessently on the radio. Incessently. Like 'Kryptonite' by 3 Doors Down incessently.) For some reason, the song that keeps popping into my head the most is 'I Want To Dance With Somebody.'

To me, Whitney Houston was one of those celebrities you just kept rooting for. She had some problems in her life- highly publicized ones, but you couldn't help but to wish her the best and root for her to get it figured out and launch a comeback that would blow everbody away. Sad to say, she didn't make it- and whatever you thought of her music, her talent was undeniable and she was one of the great, iconic voices of a generation.

She will be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment