Thursday, October 7, 2010

Mario Vargas Llosa...

...wins the Nobel Prize for Literature. I give this prize a healthy and hearty two thumbs up! In fact, it's so good of a choice, it almost, but no quite redeems the Nobel Committee for last year's turd of a peace prize which went to our beloved leader for doing not much of anything at all, from what I can tell. Anyway, some thought on Mario Vargas Llosa and how awesome he is over here...

My thoughts: this guy is one helluva writer. Not your typical magic realist, like Garcia Marquez and company, the books of his that I've read have had a deep connection to the history of Latin America itself. 'The Feast of the Goat' was an AMAZING book about the rise and fall of the Trujillo Regime in the Dominican Republic. 'The War Of The End Of The World' is his version of the story of the Canudos Uprising in Brazil (which just moved up my list of books to read, now that I'm all done with the Stieg Larsson trilogy.) I highly, highly recommend this author to anyone who is a serious lover of books. Well deserved!

(As a disclosure: I have a serious thing for the Latin American writers- Garcia Marquez, Amado, Saramago, Vargas Llosa, Borges... can't top 'em. Some of the best literature out there.)

No comments:

Post a Comment