Sunday, December 1, 2013

Thirty Days of Thanks, Part Two

Day 16: I'm thankful for cheese. There's nothing quite like a warm, freshly made loaf of bread and a nice selection of cheeses. Especially stilton. Could NOT be lactose intolerant, that's for sure.

Day 17:  I'm thankful for people who think things like this are a good idea.



Day 18: I'm thankful for family, both the regular and in-lawed variety.  Without the support of parents, siblings and in-laws I don't know where we'd be.
 
Day 19:  I'm thankful for caffeine.  When you can't get back to sleep and bank on that one final hour before Little Man wakes up at his usual time of 8:30 only to discover that non, today, he's going to wake up at 7:30, caffeine helps a lot.
 
Day 20:  I'm thankful for creativity.  God knows where I got my imagination from, but as I'm starting to format my book for publication, it's so amazing that I actually produced a real life, honest-to-goodness BOOK.  Of course, the next trick is getting people to read it, but for now, I'm thankful I had the story, the imagination and the creativity to get this thing to where it is right now.

Day 21: I'm thankful for coffee in all its varieties. Today would be a very, very long day without it.

Day 22: I'm thankful for hot water and a warm bed. When your pilot light threatens to go out again (happened a couple of days ago. I spent twenty minutes in the hallway in my underpants swearing very loudly at it and probably came close to flooding the house with gas- but I got it relit!) and you have to get up to come to work at the ass crack of dawn you tend to appreciate what you're leaving behind/don't have.

Day 23: Yes, I'm going to copy Ali Nicole and say I'm thankful for my nieces. It's been a joy to watch them grow these past years/months and I'm glad they're great cousins for Little Man and it's going to be fantastic to see them next week and see what crazy adventures they get up to in the years to come.


Day 24:  I'm thankful I learned to appreciate whiskey.  Grandad loved his whiskey, so did Dad and somewhere along the way, I picked it up as well.  Every new whiskey I taste takes me deeper into a delicious, delicious world of discovery.  I love it.

Day 25: I'm thankful I've been able to travel as much as I have.  Even here in the US, my parents were never shy about throwing us in a car every summer and embarking to points known and unknown.  Thanks to family back across the pond, I've seen a decent chunk of Europe as well.  That's awesome and hopefully someday the Missus and I will be able to do the same for our kids (and maybe add on a few destinations neither of us have seen along the way.)

Day 26: I'm thankful for the quiet moments walking back to the car after work.  It helps me unplug- something that I know I'm not always that good at, but I like to think I'm getting better at it.

Day 27: I'm thankful for the students being gone all week.  Work is really kind of relaxing when they're not around.

Day 28:  On Thanksgiving, I'm thankful for the company of friends and family and, of course, all the food.

Day 29:  On Black Friday, I'm thankful that I'm not working an Iowa-Nebraska game (happily in Lincoln this year) and even more thankful I'm not braving the hordes to shop.

Day 30: I'm thankful that this is the last day I have to do this!  There was some haterade out there on Facebook about the whole 30 Days of Thanks thing but this is the one Facebook meme/status thingy that I actually like.  Not because I feel the need to tell everyone about what I'm thankful for every year, but because I feel like while people, generally have things to be thankful for, you discover a lot more when you make yourself right them down somewhere.  And I think that's a good thing to do at least once a year.

No comments:

Post a Comment