Wednesday, December 11, 2013

10 Authors (In No Particular Order) Part I

Originally, I had conceived this feature as a way of highlighting the authors that had influenced my writing or whom I thought more people should know about and read but then, I thought that was too restrictive and to be honest, I didn't think it was something that I could creatively carry over the long term. 

Instead, I decided to reach into my spice rack and sprinkle some magic onto things and break it into a five part series about ten authors who I think rock and that more people should know about and/or read.  Some of them have influenced my writing and my literary tastes and development more than others.  Oh and because I hate the whole 'who is your favorite author' question (I love books, therefore I have many favorite authors.  You can't exactly choose one!)  They're in no particular order!

Bon Appetit!



10. Kim Stanley Robinson:  I don't know when I first started reading Robinson's Mars Trilogy but I do know that it blew my mind.  It's easy, if you're not a fan of science fiction to dismiss trilogies about the colonization of Mars as flights of fantasy and you might pass it by.  That would be a huge mistake.  Robinson's writing, his characters, the world he so vividly creates and grounds in real-world science elevate the trilogy into something that breaks the boundaries of the genre and rises into the realm of excellent literature as well.  (I keep trying to convince The Quiet Man of this- as Robinson's realism is something that's right up his alley.)   My recommendation:  start with the Mars Trilogy, but don't miss his Science In The Capitol Trilogy if you want something a little more Earth bound.  2312 is excellent as well.



9. Anne McCaffery: "Lessa woke, cold."  One of the greatest opening lines I've ever read and after that, I was hooked.  If you don't mind dragons then McCaffery's original trilogy of Dragonflight, Dragonquest and The White Dragon is a great place to start.  (Two of the novellas included in Dragonflight actually won McCaffery a Hugo and a Nebula Award- making her the first woman to win either one- something I didn't know!  So it's groundbreaking as well.)  Now what if dragons aren't your thing...  hmmm, well I can respect that.  Dragons aren't for everyone- but I guarantee you once you start exploring the world of the Dragonriders of Pern, you'll never look at dragons the same way again.  (Bonus:  if you're looking for something with a basic equation of Napoleon + Dragons, these won't disappoint you either.) 

But over the years, I've also become increasingly impressed with another universe of McCaffery's, the Talent.  Set in a universe where psionic talents (telepathy, telekinesis, clairvoyance) have been scientifically proven, it's near-future, contemporary touch in the early books (To Ride Pegasus, Pegasus In Flight) gives way to a more straightforward space based science fiction universe in the books that follow (The Rowan, Damia, Damia's Children.)  It's a fascinating evolution to track over the course of the series and features some of the strongest female characters I've read.  My recommendation:  it depends on what you're looking for.  McCaffery has plenty to offer, but if you're not afraid of dragons, plunge into Pern with Dragonflight.  If telepathy and telekinesis are more intriguing to you, I'd say The Rowan is a great place to start.

No comments:

Post a Comment