Tuesday, March 20, 2012

The Tragedy of Trayvon Martin

Trayvon Martin, a 17 year old black teenager was shot dead last week by a Neighborhood Watchman while walking through a gated community in Sanford, Florida. The watchman is claiming self-defense, even though Trayvon had nothing on him but iced tea and Skittles at the scene.

This is tragic, plain and simple.

First, the 911 calls (I listened to a good chunk of them, this has a transcript) reveal a lot of chaos and confusion on the night in question. This is evidentally a quiet neighborhood and when someone gets shot, people get scared- a perfectly natural reaction. What struck me, though, was that when the shooter called, he was quiet and he was calm and he went after the kid when the Dispatcher told him not too.

(Professionally, this is one thing that I really hope I don't run into- working for the Department I do, I think we're pretty specialized that it probably won't happen, but from every call I've listened too- and we have to listen to a couple every month as part of the online training we do- every instance I've heard of someone chasing someone down never, never ends well.)

Second, Florida's frankly ridiculous 'stand your ground' self-defense rule is why the shooter has yet to be arrested or charged with a crime. Basically, the law states that you can shoot first without having to retreat in any way. (Slate's got a good piece exploring the law a little more.) But, I'm curious-- since the shooter chased the kid down, does 'stand your ground' even apply? Had the kid come at the shooter and started swinging, I could see how it would- I wouldn't agree with it, but I could see how it would apply. The fact that the shooter went out of his way to chase this kid down, even though he wasn't a cop and he was specifically told not to do so I think removes the immunity of 'stand your ground.' It's not 'standing your ground' if you chase someone down- at least not in my book.

Now the counter-argument to this, is, of course what if the kid came at him and tried to attack him or something (perhaps, with his iced tea or skittles?) I don't think that situation helps either because the shooter might have the right to 'stand his ground' under Florida law, but Trayvon Martin has an equal right to self-defense, I would have thought.

In short, a tragedy has escalated into a racially charged mess that's dragging the FBI and Justice Department into investigate as well. The outcry, rightfully so, has been huge and the shooter remains free. I believe people have a right to self-defense if the lives of themselves or their loved ones are genuinely threatened. What confuses me is that I don't think that works if you chase someone down. The shooter is a volunteer neighborhood watchman. Not a cop. It sounds like this is a case of enthusiastic vigilatism run amuck and a 17 year old is dead as a result.

Tragic.

No comments:

Post a Comment