Friday, March 23, 2012

Hooch, Man #5: Grilling Beers- The March Edition

Spring has officially arrived and that means grilling and that means... beer. From time to time during the grilling season, I'll probably post a rumination or two on beers I pick up, drink and enjoy in the warmer weather. Ideally, I'm going to aim to keep all these beer Midwestern- or Iowan but I might slip and spring for a case of Natty Light from time to time.

March's offerings come to us from Wisconsin and Colorado respectively...

First up- Wisconsin's Capital Brewery Island Wheat Ale (America's Number 1 Brewery) that made from Washington Island, WI wheat...


The color is a cross between lemonade and straw and the taste is delicious- BeerAdvocate gives it a score of 79 which sounds about right to me. It's a wheat beer so it's not hoppy at all- to the contrary, it's smooth and buttery with just a touch of sweetness at the back of the mouth on the aftertaste. That's a terribly pithy, useless review and for that, I apologize but let's just say that this beer is drinkable, smooth and delicious- and appropriately enough, a damn good way to toast Wisconsin's exit from the NCAA Tournament. (Beer Guru The Quiet Man has been posting updates periodically on how his bracket is doing- after the first day, mine was completely destroyed and after the Saturday when Lehigh took out Duke and Norfolk State took out Mizzou and at that point, I felt the wonderfully feeling everyone feels at a certain point in the Tournament- your bracket gone, you can cheer for whomever you damn well please! And as Sparty, my pick to win it all just went down to Louisville, that's what I'll do!)

Second is the Avalanche Amber Style Ale from Breckenridge Brewery in Colorado...


The best way I can describe this beer is that it's inoffensive. It doesn't knock your socks off but it doesn't blow either- there is, happily not a lot of hops floating around in the taste of it and Beer Advocate gave it the very respectable score of 73.

I've always liked Amber/Red Ales. Not sure why, but the flavor and the taste has always appealed to me. Give me a six pack of Killians and I'll be a happy man. An Amber or an Irish Red Ale? Yes please. And the Breckenridge is no exception- delicious, well balanced and not at all hoppy. (If you, dear reader, haven't figured it out, I am no hop-head.)

And there you have it! The grilling season is officially underway and warm weather, delicious food and nights around the fire undoubtedly await...

No comments:

Post a Comment