Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Whiskey of the Month #14: Buffalo Trace Bourbon

After our two month detour to Grappa, we're back to whiskey this month with another bourbon- this time from Buffalo Trace Distillery.  Buffalo Trace has quite the history:
The company claims the distillery is the oldest continuously-operating distillery in the United States.  Located on what the company claims was once an ancient buffalo crossing on the banks of the Kentucky River in Franklin County, the distillery is named after the American bison.
200 years is quite the legacy and happily, Buffalo Trace lives up to the hype.  While Jesse James was a good, basic, run of the mill bourbon and Maker's Mark was a little underwhelming (heresy to some bourbon fans, I know, but to me, for the price I paid it was underwhelming) Buffalo Trace knocks it out of the park.  Until I find a better bourbon, this one has set the gold standard by which I'll judge all future bourbons: seriously good shit.

I've got a delicious 15 year old scotch on deck for next month but after that, I'm wide open.  I think some research is in order because outside of getting ahold of Iowa's first single malt (courtesy of nearby Cedar Ridge) I've got nothing planned and if there's more bourbon out there as good as this then I'm going to find it.  (And maybe expand my rye palate as well.  So far the only rye I think I've tried is Templeton.   I need to change that.)

Color: dark honey, gold

Body: hints of toffee and caramel, maybe just a hint of candied fruit or raisins underneath.

Palate:  the viscosity is just about perfect with this one- it's not weak or watery but it's not too heavy or syrupy either.

Finish: There's a nice moment before the burn hits the back of your throat- this is strong stuff, after all, but once it goes down, there's a nice warming that fills you right up.  Good stuff.

Overall:  I would rate this better than Maker's Mark or Jesse James-- of the bourbon's I've tried, this was probably the best so far and it's not obscenely expensive to boot.

No comments:

Post a Comment