Friday, May 3, 2013

Whiskey of the Month: There's Something Very Wrong With This

Apparently, there's a distillery in Cleveland that has figured out a way to cut the aging process for their bourbon down to a matter of days.   Whiskey and bourbon fans reading this have probably just said something along the lines of 'that's just plain sick and wrong' and I have a feeling they'd be right.

The tricky thing with whiskey (and bourbon, rye and whatever else you want throw into the category.  Sour mash?  Tennessee whiskies?) is the aging process.  Age it in one kind of barrel you can get different flavors from another kind of barrel and age it too long and it's practically undrinkable.  Father Cigar sprung for Cedar Ridge's 'age it at home' experiment not that long ago, complete with mini oaken barrel and unaged whiskey you pour into it and we would both eagerly tap into the barrel each month to see what, if anything tasted different about it.  (The resulting taste- or lack thereof was probably due to over sampling on our parts...) 

So although I'm slightly intrigued by this notion I'm also rightfully dubious about it as well.  I mean first of all,the whiskey is called 'Cleveland' and while any child of the 90s will remember that Cleveland does in fact, rock, it's also right next to Lake Erie and I'm not entirely sure I'd want to drink something called 'Cleveland'- though according to the article, plenty of people in Cleveland do want to drink it- it retails for a whopping $35 a pop.

(And yet, if I find myself in Cleveland for some weird reason, I'll undoubtedly track some down and sample it just to see for myself.   Oh and just to give the other 'C' city in Ohio a shout-out, this article about restoring the many public stairways of Cincinnati is pretty interesting too.)

No comments:

Post a Comment