Monday, December 5, 2011

Food Adventures #1: Reubens and Spicy Burgers

My fascinating with the reuben stemmed from an encounter a couple of weeks ago at Village Inn where I actually sampled a reuben for the first time, wondering idly as I did so just where Thousand Island Dressing came from. (I answered that question with The Secret World of Salad Dressing.)

But I had genuinely never had a reuben and wanted to know more. (I've had reuben balls at a bar somewhere in Minnesota and they were delish, but never an actual reuben.) Needless to say I found out that the original reuben used Russian dressing not Thousand Island Dressing and so one version, some pre-sliced marble rye bread, corned beef from the deli (both from the Cedar Rapids Super Target), swiss cheese and Russian dressing. (Surprisingly good. Another thing I'd never tried before.) The following emerged:





The sauerkraut was from a can which I wasn't happy about and I think it'd be interesting to try and corn my own beef (it's gotta be possible right) so perhaps a third version will be forthcoming.

The other thing I tried, apropos of nothing was to really make an interesting, spicy burger. This (unfortunately not pictured) came out of a random tip I heard on an episode of Restaurant: Impossible where Chef Robert 'Huge Neck' Irvine keeps telling people to 'mould, not pack' the meat. So I tried moulding and you know what? He's totally right- I produced more shapely burgers than I usually do (previously mine tended to be charcoal briquets) and just for kicks I added sliced onions, Sriracha sauce and baco-bits.

The second version I added a crushed up saltine to help it stick together better (it did- though I think there's got to be something better to do the job.) And the result was pretty good- the Sriracha gave the meat just enough kick to be spicy, but not enough to be overwhelmingly so. (I tend to use the Missus as a good barometer of what's too spicy- she said it was right on the border, which is where I wanted it to be. She also wanted a mushroom and Swiss burger, so I, long time hater of mushrooms, sauteed some 'shrooms and onions in a healthy dollop of Malbec which absorbed right into the 'shrooms and, both the Missus and Her Bestie, Nurse Ratchet assured me was delicious.)

No comments:

Post a Comment