Tuesday, October 9, 2012

This Week In Vexillology #1

Uganda turns 50 today! They've faced down challenges and they've got challenges ahead of them but there's going to be some celebrating down in what Churchill called 'The Pearl of Africa.'

I'm going to make a confession, kids: I'm something of an amateur vexillologist. I've got a whole crate of flags in the garage and I'm struggling to figure out what to do with them as I think I'd like to actually figure out a way to display them instead of keeping them locked up and gathering dust- but how do you display 40 flags? That's a challenge I have yet to figure out.

But in honor of Uganda's birthday, I thought I'd explain their flag:


It was adopted 50 years ago today for national and civil usage. Black, yellow and red were the party colors of the Ugandan People's Congress which was the dominant party at the time of independence- they also represent the Ugandan people, sunlight and brotherhood and the great crested crane at the center of the flag is the national badge of Uganda.

Keep your flags flying- freak or otherwise!

No comments:

Post a Comment